FIGHTING TO SAVE MARCUS BOOKS — A group of local black leaders bands together to try to keep Marcus Books in its longtime home at 1712 Fillmore Street.
“A DREAM BEGUN SO LONG AGO” — Photographer David Johnson returns to Fillmore Street to discuss a new book celebrating his life and work.
THE OLD MAN AND THE CAT — Longtime local resident John Gaul meets a new feline friend.
‘HONEY, YOU GOT ONE OF ME’ — Ruth Dewson, the long-reigning Mayor of Fillmore Street, remembers the pivotal role she played in starting the Fillmore Jazz Festival.
THE COLLECTION CONNECTION — While SFMOMA is showing “The Steins Collect” — which brings an extraordinary collection together again a century later — we explore the many connections to our own neighborhood. The funding for their collection came from Pacific Heights.
PAINT-OUT IN THE PARK — The Sunday Afternoon Watercolor Society — a group of architects and artists who’ve been painting together for 30 years — comes to Alta Plaza Park.
GARDENING GOES VERTICAL — As part of the expansion of Drew School, a new living wall is being created by a noted French botanist and artist who is credited with inventing the concept of vertical gardens.
RESTORING THE TEMPLE — For months the temple on California Street that is home to Congregation Sherith Israel was shrouded in scaffolding as the historic building undergoes a seismic retrofit. When the scaffolding came down, the temple was no longer pink.
FILLMORE HARDWARE CLOSES — After 49 years, Fillmore Hardware closed its doors for the final time on the day after Christmas.
THE FINAL CUSTOMER — Maruya Sushi served its final saba sushi on October 29, 2010, after feeding generations of neighbors for the past 45 years. Yoshimi and Kats Oune have retired and closed their take-out sushi shop, which was begun by her mother.
AU REVOIR, PATISSERIE DELANGHE — After 26 years of buttery croissants and sweet treats, September 30, 2010, was the final day for Patisserie Delanghe at 1890 Fillmore. With no notice or fanfare, Dominique and Marie-Jeanne Delanghe retired. They will spend more time in their apartment on the Ile St. Louis in Paris, but will continue to live in the neighborhood.
“YOU GOTTA CARRY A GUN” — So Ruth Dewson was told when she opened Mrs. Dewson’s Hats on Fillmore Street 38 years ago. For decades she has been the unofficial mayor of Fillmore Street. But she has been missing from the neighborhood in recent months, sidelined by ill health. We caught up with her at her shop and found her spirit strong and her health improving.
THE SATURDAY MORNING WALKERS — A group of locals gets together for a walk and coffee on Saturday mornings at Crissy Field — as some of them have been doing for 25 years.
THE CLAY GETS A REPRIEVE — The Fillmore’s 100-year-old neighborhood theater got a last-minute reprieve — delivered, in true San Francisco fashion, at the midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show.
THE LONG BAR LIVES — Barely 48 hours after seasoned drinkmeister Reza Esmaili took over the helm of the listing and listless Long Bar and Bistro on the corner of Fillmore and Clay on June 29, he started shaking up the joint.
THESE BOOTS ARE BEAUTS — Hand-embroidered boots from Uzbekistan were among the arts and crafts on display at the 2010 Fillmore Jazz Festival.